Laur is a small municipality
northeast of Cabanatuan city, the capital of Nueva Ecija, the rice bowl of the
Philippines. It is a small quaint town almost surrounded by rice fields if not
for some rivers and mountains. It used to be the home of fort Magsaysay where
former Senator Benigno “Ninoy” Aquino Jr. and Jose Diokno were imprisoned for a
short period of time during the martial law. And, Oh! Before I forget, this is
my home, my sanctuary.
I have always returned there come
Christmas season, or any vacation for that matter, since I was little. Riding
home, I saw hectares and hectares of green rice fields, a sight to actually
marvel. Tall, shady trees line the free road along this rice fields, swaying as
the wind touches them. The feeling of seeing nature in its simplicity brings
peace of mind. The cool breeze of air during an hour’s ride from Cabanatuan is
more than enough to make anyone feel one with nature. It is like every
pressure, every worry, and every problem is wiped by the serenity of the place.
I always celebrate Christmas with
the whole Panginen family, from my mother’s side. Every year, without miss,
Laur is where our Christmas is celebrated. It was nothing grand. A serving of
macaroni salad, bundles of lumpia, and a few trays of leche flan are all that’s
served. Not even ham, the embodiment of Christmas food, was present. Some of us
were not even eating and none of us were sitting near the table. There were
also no presents under the Christmas tree. There was nothing for us to open up.
Even I wouldn’t classify it as a Noche Buena. Rather, it was more of a get
together with food like it was always done years and years back. Talking about
random things, telling different stories while enjoying the fresh night air of
the Christmas day approaching on the porch of the house, that’s how the
Panginen family celebrates the season.
Back when I was younger, I’d always
wonder why we always never actually celebrate Christmas the way other families
do. I used to envy watching TV commercials with families drinking coke with
servings of ham, fruit salad, a few more desserts, or even the occasional lechon.
They just seem so happy sitting and eating on their round table before they
start opening their gifts for each other under the Christmas tree. Perhaps, I
wasn’t sure what Christmas should be like. Growing up however, I figured that
we are indeed celebrating Christmas in a beautiful way. It may not be one for
commercials or stories, but this season brings us closer together as a family,
and that is what Christmas is supposed to do.
No comments:
Post a Comment